WOC's who made an impression in TV, Movies and Books

Home Forums General Entertainment News WOC's who made an impression in TV, Movies and Books

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by carolinagirl carolinagirl 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
    impvme
    impvme
    Participant

As I was responding to some of the post which I am enjoying very much, I was thinking about the first time I remember seeing a BF play a somewhat major role in a TV show. I say TV because I don’t remember many from movies until the Blaxploitation movies of the 70’s.  I’d like to have a list of movies, TV shows and books where a WOC featured heavily in works that weren’t made/targeted specifically to/for a POC audience.  I know people don’t really like making list, me included, but it has been something that I’ve often thought about and I would like to see, read or hear them.  So here’s some of the ones I remember.

Julia: TV  late 60’s starring Diahann Caroll (ok this was made for a POC audience)

Manix: TV 60’s co starring Gail Fisher

Omega Man: Movie  early 70’s Co-starring Rosalind Cash

Airwolf: TV  mid 80’s  Debra Pratt(recurring role)

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by impvme impvme.

impvme

swwoman
    swwoman
    Keymaster

Julia: TV late 60’s starring Diahann Caroll (ok this was made for a POC audience)

My white family watched and loved Julia! I had a Julia doll!

My all time favorite was Nichelle Nichols on Star Trek. One of the very few depictions of women in STEM as well as a WOC.

I also loved Ester Rolle in Good Times. I never could get into The Jeffersons, but Isabel Sanford belongs on the list.

moonfreesun
    moonfreesun
    Participant

I’m not sure if I am understanding this list correctly but if I’m not let me know.

Author LA Banks, she also wrote under the following  pseudonyms ( <b>Leslie Esdaile</b>, <b>Leslie E. Banks</b>, <b>Leslie Banks</b>, <b>Leslie Esdaile Banks )</b> depending on the genre she was writing. All her work has diverse characters and many WOC characters as the main protaganist.  Some of her works include: The Vampire Hunteress Legend series, Crimson Moon series. You will find an extensive list on Amazon and other book sites.

Ashley Patterson from The Time Magnet series by Russell Moran. The first book “The Gray Ship” introduces Ashley, an African American woman in charge of a nuclear warship in 2013. Her and her crew end up traveling back in time to 1861 a few days before the start of the civil war. The other books in the series are: The Thanksgiving Gang, A Time of Fear, and The Skies of Time.

ThomasTato
    Participant

I truly appreciate this forum post.Thanks Again. Really Great. Fugate[/url]

ThomasTato
    Participant

wow, awesome article post.Much thanks again. Fantastic. Perilloux[/url]

carolinagirl
    carolinagirl
    Participant

Girlfriends

Moesha

The Game (first three seasons only)

Living Single

Half and Half

These are all sitcoms but they’re all focused on a black female protagonist with various ages, backgrounds, education, personalities, etc.

Carolina girls are the best in the world.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.