Idris Elba called "Too street" to Play James Bond, Internet fights back

Home Forums General Entertainment News Idris Elba called "Too street" to Play James Bond, Internet fights back

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by treehouse31 treehouse31 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
    swwoman
    swwoman
    Keymaster

Anthony Horowitz, the author commissioned by Ian Fleming’s estate to pen the next James Bond novel, is not a Idris Elba fan if you can imagine that.

“For me, Idris Elba is a bit too rough to play the part. It’s not a colour issue. I think he is probably a bit too ‘street’ for Bond.”

Dude, seriously? Though Horowitz suggested Hustle actor Adrian Lester instead, the internet took Horowitz to task for his racially coded language.

You can read about it in Time here

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by swwoman swwoman.
    treehouse31
    treehouse31
    Participant

Yeah, so much shade!  I read that mess this morning.

Adrian Lester – he’s cute and all, but he’s not debonair enough to make to make me believe that all sorts of women will want to sleep with him – which is a key aspect of Bond’s appeal.

Elba does have that sort of charisma with women that I would find quite believable as Bond.  I wonder if that’s Horowitz’s problem with Elba – too threatening.

swwoman
    swwoman
    Keymaster

Horowitz apologized.

apology

Still as TVGuide said,

through all of Bond’s evolutions, a few things remain the same: He’s a scarred orphan who kills people for a living and finds solace in the bottom of a bottle.

And Elba and John Luther are the one’s who are too street?

Good point

treehouse31
    treehouse31
    Participant

Well, choosing a new James Bond won’t be an issue until Craig steps down.  I guess we’ll see then how this kerfuffle comes into play.  Thanks for the update.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by treehouse31 treehouse31.
    carolinagirl
    carolinagirl
    Participant

Idris Elba would be an amazing James Bond. He has the look, the swagger, the accent, and the gravitas to pull it off. When Daniel Craig was first chosen, I initially didn’t like the choice, but oh my goodness did that man take a character that bordered on a campy Fred Astaire spy with a gun and insatiable sexual appetite (in its later years) and turn it back to the brash, gritty, arrogant, charming, but broken man that his character was supposed to be.

If Daniel Craig could end up being my favorite Bond after my initial reservations, I have no doubt in my mind that Idris could fill this role with relative ease after Craig steps down.

Carolina girls are the best in the world.

treehouse31
    treehouse31
    Participant

I agree completely.  Can you believe that David Beckham is up for the Bond role now?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2570562-david-beckham-responds-positively-to-james-bond-rumours

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.