Empire: Fears for S2, are they coming true?

Home Forums TV Shows Empire Empire: Fears for S2, are they coming true?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by moonfreesun moonfreesun 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author
    moonfreesun
    moonfreesun
    Participant

I know we are only into the 5th episode of the season. Maybe I’m just being parnoid. Tell me if I’m wrong, but the show seems off it’s game. One of my biggest fears was the influx of guest stars and how it would affect the show.

This seems to be coming true. I know last season, there were guest stars but they either helped move the plot along or in some cases were part of the plot themselves.  They also didn’t eclipse the main characters or recurring characters. With each new character being introduced, I find that I’m being taken out of the story.  Some make sense but others do not, I find myself wondering what is going on in each episode. And not in a good way.

I guess I’m having flashbacks of  “Platinum”  another POC show based in the music industry. Or maybe I’m just having anixety attacks for no reason. Either way I’m left wondering is it just me?

swwoman
    swwoman
    Keymaster

It’s not just you. Some of the guest stars have been seriously miscast. For example, Chris Rock was simply was unable to project the air of menace his character required. Watching the scene where Lucious confronts Frank and orders him killed, TH just acted circles around CR. TH projected that lethal persona like an IMAX theater and CR, well, didn’t. I was very grateful we won’t see more of Frank.

Empire is best when it focuses on the Lyon family and so many times I’ve felt like they shoehorned in other characters to so they could have a guest star.

I have no words for how much I am dreading Mariah Carey’s guest role. She has a reputation for not playing well with others.

carolinagirl
    carolinagirl
    Participant

It looks like Empire just lost its way for a while. I feel like my patience has been rewarded because the last few episodes (to include the latest episode this past Wednesday), seem to give the feeling of season one Empire. The focus looks to be put back on the family and the main supporting characters we came to love last year.

Carolina girls are the best in the world.

moonfreesun
    moonfreesun
    Participant

Just caught up on the second part of the season. Loved it.  The actress I was most happy to see back was Leslie Uggams.  OHMYGOD, loved her.  Legendary.  The original Kizzy in Roots and Broadway Legend.

Do you ladies think you could do a section on Older Legends, like Ms. Uggams and Ms. Tyson since they paved the way for some of our favs like Taraji and Anika Noni Rose

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.